Sunday, December 4, 2011

London Adventures: Nov 28 - Dec 4

I can't believe it's December!!

School: 
The week culminated on Thursday morning when I finished and turned in my first grad school essay.  I'm so excited that's over with!!!!!  I then proceeded to sleep 15 hours that afternoon/night.

On Wednesday I didn't have class because of a massive strike by the faculty about their pensions.  The extra two hours to work on my essay were okay by me!  Many students joined the protests and were trying to prevent anyone from entering any of the university's buildings.  I had to fight through them to get into the library because I needed to look at an article again to finish that essay.  That was interesting.  Something I've noticed while being here is that the British love to protest.

I finally found out what my student number at SOAS is, figured out their library system, and checked out a book from there for one of my next essays!  SOAS is the School of Oriental and African Studies, another branch of the University of London network.  One of my classes is there, so I had to do a bunch of intercollegiate paperwork that no one really bothered to explain to me, took forever to process, etc., etc... anyways bottom line is that it's done and this may sound like I haven't been in their library but I have.  I just couldn't check things out and had a hard time figuring out why the reference numbers given with the books in the catalog didn't match up with their location!!

Next order of business: Get all the research done that requires my physical presence at one of the libraries here before going home for Christmas because I have two essays larger than that first due the first week back from break!

Work:
Started working two regular shifts this week.  I'm definitely happy about that, but this week it was a little annoying since they're on Tuesday and Wednesday and I had that essay due Thursday!  Fun times comparing American and British English though lol...

Hockey:
We played the last game of the fall season (which is the first half of the full season) on Saturday and won 3-1 even though we were down 1-2 players the entire game!  That's some good zone defense for you haha!!  And I may or may not have taken someone out... 0:)

Church:
We've got another young adult!  I'm not going to try to spell her name right now.  She's from the Netherlands and pretty cool.

The last practice for the Christmas Cantata was this afternoon because it's in a week!  I can't believe it's that close!  And rehearsal had a lot of shenanigans today.  Guess that's what happens when you run through the same program you've been doing for months twice in a row!  Wise men "riding camels" and the men's section breaking out into some sort of zumba shuffle... yeah...

Randoms:
Friday night I cooked Chinese food for the Messersmiths and despite my killing of the spring roll wrappers it was still a success.  I figured the littlest kids would use forks but no they insisted on figuring out the chopsticks.  It was cute!

Saturday night I went to Meghan's for a tree trimming party.  For the first time in my life I used tinsel and strung up popcorn and cranberries to wrap around the tree.  We also created a 'bonfire' in the grill on their deck facing the canal.  Of course this was essential being that we're a bunch of archaeologists.  Field school memories :)

Yesterday I suddenly realized just how close it is to time to fly home for Christmas!  As of tonight, I will be Stateside in 11 days!!  Landing at Dulles the evening of Dec 15 - crazy!!!

And happy birthday to my favorite Katie Bird!  We need another joint birthday party.  Speaking of which, just when did ten years pass since our first one????  More craziness.

No comments:

Post a Comment