Friday, December 30, 2011

Do Not Be Anxious

"Do not be anxious about anything, 
but in everything, by prayer and petition, 
with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 
And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, 
will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
-Philippians 4:6-7

Story of my life.  Well, at least this has been the theme for a good two months now.  Thanks to my good friend Laura, not only is it memorized, but it is memorized to a jingle!  Check it out here.  And while you're at it check out other Seeds Family Worship videos.  They use kinetic typography, along with a catchy tune, to help make the memorization process all the easier.  Sure, it's meant for kids, but adults needs these things, too.
So there I was singing "Do not be anxious" for a variety of reasons as I tramped around London and now I find myself back in the States still needing it.  What gives?  I thought part of what I was anxious for was to go home.  I've found myself looking at the inevitable return to London with dread.  WHY??  Everyone else seems to love it.  I hear about how awesome people think being in London is all the time, but for some reason I can't share in their enthusiasm.  There's a lot of cool stuff and I've met some awesome people, so WHY can't I embrace it and have the time of my life like everyone seems to think a year in London should be or says theirs was or has been??

Cause it's not where my heart is.  Virginia is my home.  China is my passion.  So just why did the Lord lead me to London?  Of course the masters degree has something to do with it, but there's always something else.  Maybe it was to help me more clearly understand where my heart is.  And I think I'm learning about waiting.

A few mornings ago, I opened my Bible and the first thing I saw was this:

"Until the time came to fulfill his dreams, the LORD tested Joseph's character."
-Psalm 105:19

Then I'm like, "Ohhhhh no."  The day before, a friend of mine had said, "I have a better analogy for you than London being a fiery furnace.  It's more like our being refined like a Hertzler refines a pig slowly for a roast."  So I asked if I would be edible by the time I get back.  He said no because we're not done roasting until heaven.  Short buddy has some wisdom between his ears.

I found myself praying that I wouldn't just squeak by but pass with flying colors.  But that verse led me to think of this:

"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life."
-Proverbs 13:12

So if deferring dreams makes the heart sick, why am I being told to wait, wait, wait?  Because waiting on God is trusting in God.  It's trusting he knows the right time, the right place, and the right people.  It's trusting he's had it all figured out before time began.  It's trusting that he has a very good reason to say, "Wait."  It's learning the discipline of not trying to control things myself but instead depending on God to see them through in his way and in his time.

"But those who trust in the LORD will find new strength. 
They will soar high on wings like eagles. 
They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint."
-Isaiah 40:31

"Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged, for I am your God. 
I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand."
-Isaiah 41:10

 I have been chewing on this post for about a week and yesterday the sermon at New Life provided a nice little capstone.  "Don't ever give up on the God that's never given up on you.  Life is hard.  God is still God.  Don't give up."  Pain and suffering come to all people.  God never promised that being in the middle of his will is 'safe.'  It's safe in an eternal sense, but it doesn't mean pain won't happen in this life.  Just ask Jesus.  Or the disciples.  Dying on the cross or getting martyred wasn't exactly a walk in the park.  Pain came to Job even though God referred to him as a righteous man because God wanted to illustrate a point, use it to teach, and bless Job more in the latter part of his life than in the first.  There is no karma in the Bible.  God simply takes care of his own.  Are you going to allow your circumstances to define your theology or are you going to allow your theology to define your circumstances?  Maybe God has you on the insane boat that's going through the rapids while others are quietly drifting down the river.  Enjoy the journey that God has you on.  You're on it for a reason.

"'My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,' says the LORD.
'And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.'"
-Isaiah 55:8

 So in the meantime,

"Wait patiently for the LORD.  Be brave and courageous.  Yes, wait patiently for the LORD."
-Psalm 27:14
"Let all that I am wait quietly before God, for my hope is in him."
 -Psalm 62:5




"While I'm Waiting" by John Waller - A jam for the season.

2 comments:

  1. As I am reading your blog that song by Waller is in my head the entire time. Good blog. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I needed that. So rich and good and deep and true.

    ReplyDelete