Sunday, October 16, 2011

London Adventures: Oct 10-16

Monday:  Still not feeling well so I went to the NHS.  The doctor said she didn't think it was strep but that it was definitely an infection, probably viral, and to come back towards the end of the week if it's still not getting better.  Still can's really talk.  Free lunch from the monks and library until class.  Really frustrating when the professor asks a question and nobody is answering but you know the answer but you can't speak loud enough to really be heard.  Went to CU from there but ended up leaving early because I was feeling awful.  Last night I'd had an email asking me to sing, but obviously I had to decline.

Tuesday:  Woke up and made myself an omelet - I must be feeling better!  And what is that noise coming out of my mouth?  A voice?!  Read until time to go to work and then had my first adventure trying to figure out the SOAS library.  Apparently they have had issues in the past of people hiding books so that only they know where they are and can always use them when they want.  I'm wondering if that isn't still happening... it's also frustrating because I don't have the same library privileges as a SOAS student, such as not being able to check all categories of books out.  Skyped with Michelle M. tonight!  Great to catch up with her!!  It was really funny when Maddy was trying to figure out where I was.  Apparently dogs don't understand the concept of a computer.  She would look around when I would talk and kept trying the window.

Wednesday:  Got paid to participate in another psychology research project.  Free lunch from the monks.  Class at SOAS.  Found out the professor's accent is German.  Also found out that I am supposed to register for the class with SOAS as well as UCL and nobody told me.  I had registered on UCL's system, but apparently I have to apply to be an intercollegiate student at SOAS as well.  The office had closed by the time class ended, so I'll have to deal with that tomorrow.  Also found out that "study packs" for the class had arrived in the bookstore.  Never heard of them before, but I'm liking it!!  It's a really thick book of the majority of the required readings (solves most of my library problem!!!).  Basically if the reading is an except or article then it's in there but whole books still have to be found on their own. 

Walked to Chinatown which is on the way to CBC anyway and had Chinese snacks for dinner.  Hopped on the tube at Piccadilly Circus to CBC.  Still had a bit of extra time, so I read in the park before heading to the church and... FINISHED MY BIBLE!!!!  I'm excited to say this, but I'm also a bit ashamed that I didn't do it years ago.  I had read the New Testament the whole way through before and major chunks of the Old to the point that I really wasn't sure which parts exactly had I not read so now I've read straight through and can definitely say that I've read the whole thing!  Started back in mid/late January with the 21 day fast at New Life.  I had a goal to read through the Gospels in the 21 days and I did.  Then I just kept going and finished the NT again which led to finally reading straight through the OT!  On the way back to the dorm I ended up on the same train as one of my flatmates (Carol from China).  Out of all of London!  Haha this stuff really doesn't surprise me any more.

Thursday:  Morning class with Dr. Tanner.  Feeling like I've been hit by a truck again today.  Not sure how I feel about this class.  He basically seems to want us to have a big class discussion about the readings, but doesn't ever really say what HE thinks about all the theories... we'll see about this.  Went to the bank to activate my debit card that finally came in the mail and found out that, yes, my loan money had finally been processed!  That was exciting.  Got the paperwork from SOAS.  Three signatures needed.  One is my professor.  The other two are from UCL but I had no idea who needed to sign them, only that the lady that gave me the form said something about Judy.  Free lunch from the monks.  Didn't perk me up as much as I thought it would.  Eventually found Judy who took pity on my condition and took the form saying that I didn't need to do anything else with it and she would take care of it.  Praise God because all I wanted to do was go to bed! 

I stopped in the Accommodation office before heading back to the dorm to pay my fees (which were not automatically deducted from my loan like I would've expected?) and ran into a Chinese girl from IOA who lives in the same dorm as me that I met during orientation.  We walked back together and found a really old church that we admired for a bit.  Had a good discussion about the differences between Christianity, Catholicism, and Islam.  Napped for two hours.  Woke up feeling better than before.  Walked back to campus for CU worship practice.  It's actually more like a worship jam and it was AMAZING.  Super pumped afterwards.  The Spirit of the Lord was totally there.  But finding it strange that all of a sudden I'm involved in all this musical stuff and not sports??  Worked on some reading and watched the Longwood hockey game on live webcast while chatting online with Jennie in Senegal (is this real life?).

Friday:  Wend to work feeling much better again and still pumped from the jam session last night.  Hoping all the way through the shift that I would feel well enough to finally workout again afterwards and I did!  I lifted but didn't run or anything.  I was shaky by the end of lifting and I really hadn't done as much as usual but it definitely felt good to do something again!  Also talked to Flor at my work who plays for a hockey club and she said her team needs and goalkeeper, so she's going to email me information.  There are two different training sessions Monday nights and I could make the late one so this is exciting!  Went to the IOA library to checkout books for the weekend, then back to the dorm to Skype with Laura!  Another one that was great to catch up with!  I love how Skype allows us to "hangout" with people even when we're oceans away!


Saturday:  Ran a good 45-50mins and LOVED it.  Oh man it had been like two weeks thanks to fresher's flu.  Although I felt good running, very soon after it hit me hard!  I was reading for class and ended up napping because my whole body just crashed.  Then I read some more.  By the afternoon I was already sore, but I would rather be sore knowing I did something to better myself than feel like a lump!  Was supposed to meet Emily at 3pm to practice for our duet we're supposed to sing in church tomorrow (eek?).  Came time to leave and I realized I wasn't sure we had clarified meeting at the Messersmith house or at the church.  Since I didn't have a phone yet this was a problem.  I had to send Facebook messages and wait for a reply until I could leave!  Ended up down there eventually (reading more on the tube) and we practiced.  They've lent me their extra pay-as-you-go phone, so now I shouldn't have problems like this any more!  Experienced a LARGE Sainsbury's (grocery store) that has a MUCH larger gluten free section than any by me!  Then to the Messersmith's for taco dinner (yum) and a good time just chilling. 

Got back to a message from Firefly, a Chinese girl I met in China two years ago who has since come to the UK as an exchange student.  She graduated this year, but is looking for a job and has an interview in London on Monday and wants to meet up!  She got exposed to the Gospel through the coffee house and English camp ministry while in China and then accepted Christ once she came to England and got involved at a church!  I'm excited to see her!  And it's really nice/weird having a phone again!

Sunday:  Sang "I Surrender All" with Emily during the morning service.  First time I've sang in church (you know apart from being in the pew!).  Thai lunch with some church ladies and then sang with a group from the church at a senior citizen home.  I really hope I die before my body breaks down that much.  It was really cool to see them start singing along to hymns they knew though.  And lots of them had tears in their eyes.  Then we got ice cream before choir practice (While Esther's away the mice will play!! Haha choir master Esther says cold things are bad for singing).  We ran through the cantata, then had evening service, and then back to the dorm.  And side note:  When did Cadbury start selling "Screme" Eggs???

No comments:

Post a Comment