Monday, September 19, 2011

London Adventures: Sep 12-18

Monday:  Quote of the day (Meghan talking about the Accommodation Office):  "I feel like the fires of Hell start licking at your ankles as soon as you walk in there!"  Rubbish day (Yes, I said rubbish) but finally sorted out I believe.  Ran on the canal to de-stress!  It's getting pretty chilly outside in the evenings and night.  My lungs were shocked by the cold air!

Tuesday:  Got my first email reply ever from the Accommodation Office, finally confirming my early arrival.  I can move into my dorm on the 20th.  Praise God!  Worked on job applications.  Ran on the canal.

Wednesday:  Walked around doing some errands with Jamie and Meghan but not before a "Dynamite" dance party to get us started.  Absolutely exhausted for some reason.  Laid down for a nap in the conservatory.  Had a late lunch, read, and napped again.  Chatted online with Jennie in Senegal for a good while, which was really nice.  I definitely miss her.  Went to CBC for Wednesday night Bible study.  The topic was the preeminence of Christ (Col 1:15).  Found out they like to sing Christmas carols all year long which is more than okay with me!  Finished The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis on the tube ride there.  I highly recommend it.  I'll definitely be reading it again.  Had a late dinner afterwards.  Reread my post "Home."  Funny how you can preach at yourself.

Thursday:  Read and napped until lunch.  Still felt exhausted.  Got myself moving around, talked to Jennie in Senegal again, and corresponded with Laura as she left for Togo today.  Also got to chat with Katie in TX.  Eventually went out for a run.  Ran to Regent's Park and crisscrossed Primrose Hill a few times.  I think it's the first proper hill I've come across!  Discovered an adult playground of sorts where I did upper body and core work, then ran back.  Must have been a good workout because I felt like a noodle.  Grilled cheese and tomato soup for dinner.  Researched some PhD programs.  Chilled with Jamie and Meghan.  First video Skype call since I've gotten here belongs to Sarah M. in VA.  Chatted a bit with Ashley T. and Kristyn, who are FL and CO respectively.  Good day for talking to people!  Man we're scattered all over the place!!

Friday:  Limited on my options due to not wanting to be locked out of the house.  Meghan picked up a German friend from the airport today and was out all day with her.  Jamie had work and research things to do so she was also out, but was coming back sometime and leaving again by 4:30ish.  So this left me with the option of walking around and coming back by like 4 so that I wouldn't be locked out until who knows when at night.  I wandered back into Chinatown, drank some coconut juice, and continued around Piccadilly Circus, over to Holdborn, back through campus and to the flat.  Also picked up peanut butter, bananas, and yogurt from the store.  I had been a day without peanut butter and that's long enough.  Second video Skype belongs to Ashley T. and the FSU XA office :)

Saturday:  Jamie ran out the door this morning.  Meghan and her friend had already left.  So there I was with no idea of when anybody would be coming back, no key to a door that automatically locks behind you when you leave, and no phone to contact anyone.  I was stuck and frustrated that I couldn't even go for a run.  But that's when the post before this one ("Into Place") happened and as you can see it helped me sort a lot of what I've been feeling.  So of course God had better plans for my time than me.

Sunday:  Didn't feel so great when I woke up.  I had gone to bed not feeling so well since about dinner time.  Couldn't find my shoes, but eventually made it out the door to CBC.  Almost turned back because I started feeling worse.  Sat down in the service, praying that I would at least feel well enough to get some spiritual food.  I had committed last week to eating at Battina's for lunch as well and I really didn't want to back out.  By the end of service I felt much better than I had when I arrived and during Emily's birthday tea downstairs I gulped down some ginger tea I had brought from China in hopes that it would make me want to eat lunch.  Battina had Norma, Agape, Joe, Esther and I over for some homemade French food.  Praise God by the time we got to her flat I felt like eating and it was very good!  We fellowshipped around the table for a while and then some returned to the church for choir practice.  Yes, choir practice haha Esther had cornered me the week before.  During the evening service we continued in our study of Philemon.  We are equal in Christ, profitable and useful in Christ, and we have a purpose in Christ.  The morning service had continued in 'dying to self.' "Live is not to live for tomorrow; Live is to live for God today." - Pastor Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment