Friday, August 26, 2011

Pre-London Adventures: Aug 15-21

Left Farmville Monday after a very nice Sunday at the Hertzler's and week at Michelle's. I will miss all of them! Got one last workout in on campus (I'll miss John and the gym, too! UCL better have a good gym!!) and spent the night at my friend Sarah's apartment in Richmond so that we could have some hangout time. We went to Chipotle and talked so long that they closed. In the morning I drove straight to the British Consulate in Alexandria for my biometrics appointment (fingerprints and photo) and then went home to my mom's house in Stafford.

Wednesday my sister Becky called me because she realized she had never asked anyone to pick her up from the airport the next day and was wondering if I could schedule my return from Farmville as to coincide with her pickup in Richmond (We both needed to be back by the weekend for our older sister's wedding). I informed her that I had already returned but that I could still come get her and where was she anyway?? Salt Lake City. O...k...? What time I ask? Midnight. Are you serious?? Yes. Oh joy. I hadn't been up that late since coming back from China. Jet lag was gone, but it had put me on an early bird schedule.

Thursday I continued work on cleaning out my room. It has basically become storage over the last seven years with only a path to the bed since I left for Longwood. And not all of the stuff is mine, mind you. It was a convenient place for people to put things they didn't want in THEIR room under the pretense that maybe I wanted it! But in order to store my things that I've actually been using in Farmville, I need to clean it out. In the evening, I went to my nephew Nick's preseason football game at the high school. This is his junior year. I feel old. I also spent a good portion of the day dealing with visa issues. I thought I was going to express my application to the NYC consulate after getting my biometrics done (apparently the visas aren't issued in DC) but was told by the school that the e-mail confirmation UCL sent me saying they would accept my Federal loan wasn't enough. Instead I would need the original documents... that were in London. So I had to arrange for UPS to pick them up and express them to me by Monday and scheduled an in person visa appointment at the NYC consulate for Wednesday.

Later I left to pick Becky up at Richmond International. My friend Jessie rode along so that we could catch up. She had returned from a mission trip to Jamaica so I got to hear all about it. I hadn't been feeling all that great for several days, but as we drove, particularly on the way back, I started feeling really bad. Becky took over driving. I must have had the flu. That night I spent several hours on the bathroom floor and then didn't move from the couch all day Friday. Missed Katherine's (niece) first birthday party that night.

Saturday I felt a lot better, but still didn't feel like eating. Went to Ann Marie and David's wedding at their house. My cousin-in-law, Stephen, performed the ceremony in their backyard and then the close family on both sides hung out all afternoon for BBQ. I didn't eat it, but had a great time catching up with Stephen about his latest missions. That night I was fed up with not eating and finally had a bit of an appetite. I went the whole nine yards and ate a piece of the cheesecake my mom had gotten for the wedding (gluten free with a fudge crust instead of graham crackers!). It was delicious. And my body agreed.

Sunday I went to Mount Ararat for the first time since Christmas, I think! Man that church has turned into it's own mini city! It was nice to catch up with people. Sad that the Raffertys had moved to Colorado. Pastor Todd connected me on Facebook with someone he knows in London. Went to Dad's grave. It's funny how you can know something in your head, but actually coming face to face with it can still be so powerful. Lazy afternoon still recovering from being sick. Got sick of sitting though and walked three miles. That felt good. Decided I would have to try running in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment